My Paleo Approach
I’ll put this in simple list for better understanding:
- Fresh vegetables
- Fresh fruits
- Meat (mostly chicken, fish), occasional beef and pork
- Sweet potatoes
- Organic Extra Virgin Coconut butter
See Primal Eats for some Primal food porn.
I drink plain water and green tea.
I cook with these:
- Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
- 100% Coconut Milk
- 100% Avocado Oil
- Pastured Butter
- Spices and herbs
- Fresh fruit juices (from actual fruits, not store bought or canned)
I do short intense exercise almost daily.
I eat these in moderation:
- Dairy (full fat greek yogurt, cheese spread)
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts)
- Dark chocolate
I try to avoid these as much as possible:
- Gluten (occasionally I’d like to have my homemade bread, some crackers, or someone’s b’day cake/wedding cake)
- Grains (white/brown rice, oats, quinoa, corn and their families)
- Soy (tofu, edamame)
I avoid these completely:
- Processed stuff (hotdog, sausage, cured meat, frozen entrees, canned soup, fake meats etc)
- Deep fried stuff
- Hydrogenated oil (soybean, peanut, canola, sunflower, margarine etc)
- Sugar (pure cane, brown, molasses, agave nectar, stevia)
- All kinds of soft drinks and soda
- All kinds of store bought fruit juices
- Beans /legumes (black, pinto, white, garbanzo, kidney, lentils etc) – good thing to do cause beans/legumes just make me super gassy!
Some Primal/Paleo principal that I DON’T DO:
- Cook in animal fats (lard) – it grosses me out and I don’t have budget buying grass fed/pastured pork
- Lots of red meat – I’m just not a fan of red meat
- Minimal fruits (because of the high sugar content) – I tried and my bowel wasn’t happy. I need my fruits in conjunction with veggies to get my bowel moving regularly
- BUY ORGANIC produce and grass fed meat deals.
Seriously, I can’t afford any of those. Just buying all fresh produce already makes my monthly grocery bills about $200 something. And I do have my own thoughts of organic stuff. On certain level, I don’t really belief anything that’s labeled organic is actually live up to its standard. Usually organic produce doesn’t look as appealing as the conventional ones, right? Here’s an interesting theory: what if those beat up looking ones are the ones that don’t make it into supermarket thus they selling them and claim them as organic so they could charge extra amount of $$? Hm no thanks.
Besides farms/companies can always pay for those organic labels so they can jack up the price. And how do we really know that they fed their cattles/chicken natural diets? We’re not there watching them doing it. If you really want to be super anal, open your own farm or start your own vegetable gardening. Now that’s the REAL Primal/Paleo.
I know not many people will agree with me and it’s fine. I don’t make 6 or 7 figure income so I have to what I need to feed me and K (o yea lil bro too). The key is: I eat whole foods NOT processed/boxed/canned etc. For me it’s part of Primal lifestyle.
Also you can read my other post regarding Paleo on a Budget